The construction of the mosque began in 1403 by Emir Suleiman, the son of Yildirim Beyazid Khan. The mosque was finished after his death by Celesh Mehmet in 1414. According to the inscription on the side door, the architect of the mosque was Hadzi Alyeddinin of Connia and his assistant, Iomer, son of Ibrahim. The area of the mosque is 21216 m2. It is covered with nine domes.